To schedule an assessment appointment
For individuals or families interested in a comprehensive diagnostic assessment for adolescents and adults age 17 or older, please contact the Psychological Services Center at email@example.com or 540-231-6914.
Outline of assessment
Diagnostic assessments for ASD typically include:
- Standardized Parent Interview (Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised; ADI-R)
- Standardized Observation Measure (Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule, Second Edition; ADOS-2 or CARS-2-Observation)
- Cognitive Assessment (e.g., Wechsler intelligence scales, Bayley Scales of Infant Development)
- Adaptive Behavioral Assessment (e.g., Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scales or Adaptive Behavior Assessment System)
- Language Assessment (e.g., Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test and Expressive Vocabulary Test)
- Other measures as needed
Assessments may also include psychological and psychoeducational assessment (cognitive, memory, achievement, and attentional and emotional testing), learning disability assessments, and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) assessments. We may also contact other people, if applicable (for example, teachers or doctors) to try to get a bigger picture. Therefore, this assessment is comprehensive and is considered a full clinical evaluation. The primary goals of the comprehensive evaluation are to determine diagnosis, assess developmental skills, and obtain a complete understanding of the child, adolescent, or adult in order to provide recommendations for treatment and service planning. Upon completion, you will receive a full diagnostic report.
Assessments can last anywhere from 6-12 hours divided over two to three appointments.
General information for ASD Diagnostic Assessments
Clinicians and Research: All ASD diagnostic assessments are completed by graduate clinicians studying in the Clinical Science Program of the Psychology Department, under the supervision of licensed clinical psychologists. You will have the option of allowing your data to be used for research purposes through the PSC and CSC.
Costs: Costs for a comprehensive assessment vary, but can start at $800 and may be discounted depending on client's income and need, based on a sliding scale.